celestial maxi skirt November 15 2013, 0 Comments
supremely good, sublime
I'm in love with this skirt. I love the simplicity of the handkerchief hemline, the instructions for the french seams and the exposed elastic. This is the skirt mothers/fathers sewists dream of because it take 40 minutes to sew from cut to finish and the result is flawless and stylish. This skirt looks great paired with the Celestial Pullover or Pleated Tee and really hip with a layered look using the Seraphic Raglan and Celestial Pullover. Have fun playing with the hemline length to make a full, tee or knee length by just adducting the length on the pattern. On chilly winter days just add boots and Sunki leggins!
Fabric choices for the skirt vary from cotton lawn to jersey knit. Just make sure when you're shopping for the perfect fabric take the fabric off the bolt and check the drape. You want a fabric that will move with the person you're sewing for so nothing too stiff or heavy. I hope someone tries making the skirt in a lightweight small wale cord! Let me know if you do! Also, don't be afraid to try a 2-3" decorative elastic it can give the skirt a fun pop of color!
Happy Sewing - Shelly
free new figgy's pattern and a design competition too! July 05 2012, 9 Comments
Anybody who lives in the Pacific Northwest knows, that Summer starts on the 4th of July! So, to celebrate summer (which finally arrived here in Portland as well!) we are excited to share our free (!!!) Flutter Circle Skirt tutorial with all of you! It's a beginner friendly sewing project that might only take you a couple of hours to complete from finish to end. Yet what we are providing here is a great pattern base or blue print for lots of sewing projects like, tiered skirts, minis, maxis, empire waist dresses, sun dresses - just perfect for summer! And as a bonus, we threw in adult/tween sizes too, so we grown ups can finally wear our own Figgy's too.
And because we think it's such a great pattern, we'd like to kick off a design competition throughout the month of July:
* create a garment based on the Flutter Circle skirt
* photograph your project and upload to the Figgy's Flickr group.
* indicate in the title: Flutter Competition.
* submission deadline: August 10th 2012
* a panel of insiders in addition to Shelly and myself will review all submissions and pick a winner!
* the winner is announced on August 15th 2012
And now for the prizes:
* The winning design will be featured here on the blog with a full sized tutorial and designer bio.
* Any three e-patterns of your choice.
2nd and 3rd prize:
* The 2nd and 3rd winning designs will also be featured here on the blog with pictures and designer bios.
* any one of our e-patterns of choice.
What are you waiting for? Download your free pattern and get designing! We can't wait what you come up with!
Daniela & Shelly